Terrace movie Theatre
The Terrace was the first new movie house in the Detroit area opened since the late 40s, not counting the Campus in Ann Arbor (1956). It opened in late 1962 with “The Music Man” which was released in Super Technirama 70 (70mm with stereophonic sound).
The Terrace sat around 1200 and was designed by Ted Rogvoy, who also was responsible for area theaters like the Mercury in Detroit and the Penn in Plymouth.
It was designed in ‘Chinese Garden’ style, with minimal interior decor, though its canopy marquee was one of the largest ever built in the state, at 52 feet long. Also, its screen was enormous, as well, measuring 59' by 27'.
The Terrace originally was operated jointly by the Wisper and Wetsman and Suburban Detroit Theatres chains.
In the early 70s, the auditorium was twinned, and it became the Terrace 1-2. In the 80s, it was turned into a quad, when taken over by the Cinemark chain, and renamed the Cinemark Terrace 4.
Summer theatre Terrace Herrenhausen Hanover Hanover Germany, c. 1890s, (L) Library Image
Home (Library Images)